Notification of Cosmetic Products in the European Union (from January 11th, 2012)
According to Article 13 of Regulation (EC) No 1223/2009 on cosmetic products some information concerning cosmetic products placed on the EU market shall be notified through the
Notification to CPNP will become mandatory on July 11th, 2013.
As from January 11th, 2012 on CPNP will be online and there is already the possibility to notify through CPNP. Notification to CPNP replaces the need for national notifications.
The necessary information on how to access the Portal, together with the CPNP User Manual, will be available under the 'News' section of the European Commission's website
on that date.
Notification of Cosmetic Products in the Germany (until July 10th, 2013)
According to the Cosmetics Legislation in Germany (Kosmetikverordnung, KosmetikV, paragraph 5d Abs. 2) manufacturers and importers of cosmetic products are obliged to report the composition of their products in Germany.
Product data of all cosmetic products marketed in Germany have to be notified to the Federal Agency for Consumer Protection and Food Safety (BVL)
"To facilitate rapid and effective medical treatment in case of health disorder the manufacturer or the person responsible for import of a cosmetic product has to notify to the authority before placing on the market or in case of any changes the following data
- brand name
- product group / product category
- composition, incidating all chemical ingredients (names and amounts),
- using INCI names if existing
- or otherwise the ingredients' names used for labelling.
- In case the ingredient's name is not listed,
- systematic taxononic names should be used for ingredients of biological origin (genus, species ..)
- systematic chemical names and CAS registry number for chemically defined ingredients."
Notification is mandatory for either professional or private marketing of cosmetic products. Notification is mandatory even if the product had been marketed in another EU member state and had already been notified there.
BVL passes on these notifications to all German poisons centres (via TDI Network), a direct notification to the 9 German poisons centres is not stipulated.
Cosmetic data constitute an important basis for poisons centre work and do facilitate rapid and specific medical treatment in cases of poisonings and - more often - poisoning suspicions. These data are exclusively intended for usage in emergency situations in order to be able to initiate medical counter measures.
Further details of the notification process:
- at the website of the Bundesamtes für Verbraucherschutz und Lebensmittelsicherheit (BVL) information (in German only)
- further support is provided by Industrieverband Körperpflege- und Waschmittel (IKW, i.e. German Cosmetic, Toiletry, Perfumery and Detergent Association), Frankfurt/Main.